485 Visa: Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)

If you hold a student visa and have recently completed (or will soon complete) an Australian course of study, you may be eligible for a temporary graduate visa, otherwise known as a 485 visa.

This visa has two streams – the graduate work stream (GWS) and the post-study work stream (PSWS).

True Blue Migration manages 485 PSWS visa applications.

What is good about the 485 (PSWS) visa?

The 485 (PSWS) visa provides the opportunity to obtain work experience in Australia. The 485 (PSWS):

  • Does not require sponsorship from an employer, a relative or a state of Australia
  • Is not points-tested and does not require a skill assessment
  • Does not have an occupation list (so it doesn’t matter what subjects were in your course)
  • Has unlimited work rights

Do you qualify for a visa?

Free Assessment

How long is the 485 visa (PSWS) valid for?

The validity period depends on your qualification. If you completed a Bachelor’s degree and most Master degrees, your visa will be granted for two years. A PhD graduate is granted a visa for four years. Qualifications below a Bachelor level are ineligible for a 485 (PSWS) visa.

When should I apply for a 485 visa?

A Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa must be lodged within six months of completion of your course. You must be in Australia when your 485 visa is lodged.

Am I eligible for a 485 visa?

We can determine your eligibility for a temporary graduate (subclass 485) (PSWS) visa. Please complete our online assessment form and we will provide information on the steps, fees and process.


Eligibility for a 485 visa (PSWS) depends on:

  • Whether you hold your first or subsequent student visa
  • The date of application of your student visa
  • The level of higher education you completed
English test requirements

All Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa applicants must sit an English test. If you sit the IELTS, you must score an average of 6.0 with at least 5.0 in each band. You can also choose to sit one of four other approved English tests, or you may be exempted based on your passport.

Get in touch now to find out how we can help you contact us