189 Visa: Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)

The 189 visa is a points-tested skilled visa designed for people who wish to migrate to Australia independently and without employer sponsorship or sponsorship by a family member or a state / territory.




Do you qualify for a visa?

Free Assessment

To apply for a 189 visa, you’ll need to nominate an occupation on the 189 Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL). This list houses the occupations that are in most demand across Australia.

The list changes from time to time, with core occupational groups being tradespeople, health professionals, engineers, teachers and IT professionals.

You’ll need to meet the skill assessment requirement of the occupation and obtain a point score that is high enough for you to be invited to apply for a 189 visa. The pass mark is 65 but the actual point score needed will depend on the number of other people in the same occupation vying for a 189 invitation to apply, and the number of invitations issued by Immigration.

You score points in the following categories:

  • Age (you must be 44 years or under)
  • Qualification
  • Years of relevant skilled work experience (overseas and/or in Australia – you may get points for both)
  • Australian study (more points if you studied regionally)
  • English test score (although certain passport holders (including the UK, Canada and Ireland) are exempt from sitting the test, zero points are awarded in this case and this usually means the required point score is not met
  • Partner points

For a free assessment, contact True Blue Migration Services today.

189 visa eligibility

To be eligible for a 189 visa, you must:

  • Obtain a position skills assessment
  • Have an occupation on the MLTSSL
  • Lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI)
  • Meet the points requirement
  • Receive an invitation to apply
  • Lodge an application that reflects your claimed points
  • Meet health and character requirements

When you are granted a 189 visa:

  • You and your partner can work in any job on arrival
  • You can study at one of Australia’s fantastic schools or universities
  • You can start your journey towards Australian citizenship
  • You’ll receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare

You should be aware that you’ll need a range of paperwork, which may include detailed references and training certificates. A Registered Migration Agent can guide you through the skills assessment and EOI process, giving your application the best possible chance of success.

Get in touch now to find out how we can help you contact us