187 Visa: Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187 RSMS)

PLEASE NOTE: The regional sponsored migration scheme (187) visa closed on 16 November 2019. It has been replaced by the skilled employer-sponsored (provisional) 494 visa.

The information below does not apply to new applicants, as no further 187 applications can be lodged, but may be useful for current holders of the visa.


Do you qualify for a visa?

Free Assessment

There are two RSMS visa streams:

1. Temporary Resident Transition (TRT)

If you held (or had applied for) a 457 visa on 18 April 2017, you may be eligible for PR through the 457 visa grandfathering arrangements.

If you’re currently on a 482 visa and are sponsored in an occupation from the medium-term or regional stream (and didn’t previously hold a 457 visa), you may be eligible for permanent residency when you meet the following criteria:

  • Worked for the same sponsor for three years on your 482 visa
  • Held the same occupation for the three years on the 482 visa 
  • Achieved of at least 6.0 in all parts of the IELTS (or equivalent test), unless you are exempt from English testing requirements
  • Have been paid at least the salary amount that was on your nomination letter
  • Be under 45 at the time your application is lodged

You may also meet the grandfathering requirements if you initially held a 457 visa and now hold a 482 visa – by combining the work experience  on both visas.

Unfortunately, you cannot apply independently for this visa type; you need to be nominated by your current sponsor.

TRT grandfathering arrangements for 457 (and some 482) visa holders 

Significant changes to employer-sponsored migration policy were introduced in April 2017, leaving thousands of visa holders covered by transitional permanent residency arrangements. These are known as ‘grandfathering arrangements’ and it means that even though the 457 program is no longer running, some visa holders are still eligible for permanent residency.

Find out if you’re covered by grandfathering arrangements here or contact us for a free assessment.

2. Direct Entry (DE)

If the TRT grandfathering pathways do not apply to you, the 187 DE pathway may suit you.

This visa can be lodged whilst you are offshore or onshore.

You may be eligible if you meet the following criteria:

  • Under 45 years of age
  • Can show Competent English
  • Meet skill level requirements associated with the occupation
  • Have at least three year of post-qualification work experience
  • Have an occupation from the relevant list
Do I need a skill assessment to apply for a 187 Direct Entry visa? 

Some occupations (mostly tradespeople) require a skill assessment as part of the 187 DE application.

We manage this with you, providing document checklists, reviewing your paperwork, lodging the application and following up with the assessment body. Each skill assessing body has different requirements and we can help you navigate through the process.

Is my employer eligible to nominate me on a 187 Direct Entry visa? 

You must be sponsored for a position located in a designated regional area.

The employer must offer you a full time position that is available for at least two years on grant of the 187 visa.

You must be paid at least $53,900 + superannuation. Your employer needs to explain how the position is genuine and demonstrate that the business financials are strong enough to justify your full time position.

Assessment of eligibility 

We can determine your eligibility for a 187 visa. Please complete our online assessment form and we will provide information on the steps, fees and process.

What is a Regional Certifying Body?

A 187 Direct Entry applicant needs approved from the relevant Regional Certifying Body (RCB). There are dozens of RCBs across regional Australia, each with different requirements.

We guide your sponsor through the RCB process. Each RCB has its own criteria and checklist.

What conditions apply to a 187 visa?

If you’ve been granted a 187 visa or you intend to apply for one, you must be aware of the conditions attached to it.

Get in touch now to find out how we can help you contact us